Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hip Hop Today

Man, I have been watching some Hip Hop videos on Youtube during break time and I'm kind of shocked at what I’m seeing, rappers are getting younger and younger (Lil Twist, Lil Chuckee, Tyga, Kid Ink, Dolla....), they are like 17 covered with tattoos and diamonds and talking about money and bitches, WTF MAN!!! Is everybody trying to be the next Lil Wayne??? Ok so some of them are under the Young Money label so it's predictable, they have to follow, I guess, a certain image. But why does everybody have to be and do the same shit, what happened to "art" "style", "unique", "original" and "authentic"??? Don't get me wrong, I love Lil Wayne, I like the music, the flow, the voice, the lyrics, the swag but having 6 or 7 of him kind of make me sick. Plus, it decreases considerably Lil Wayne's value. I guess he was so successful that all rappers are trying to follow his path and forgot to put their own touch. Another thing: When do rappers gonna get enough from bragging??????? OK I got it: you’re super fucking rich, bitches are sucking your dick for free 24/7 and I'm just a poor piece of shit to you, now can you move on??? And are they really rich as they pretend to be??? I mean do they really own the fancy cars and huge luxurious houses they show on their music video clips? I doubt that, because that's what the people want, they want to be ENTERTAINED!!! Lyrics don’t really count anymore as long as you show me some nice titties with a good bass and some occasional cars and rhymes. I guess Chris Rock was right when he said: "I'm tired of defending rap... We all should be ashamed of loving this shit" lol.
According to history, hip hop has changed a LOT since the early 90s not only in beats and melody but also in lyrics, take a little look at Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, Grand Master Flash, Run Dmc, Eric B & Rakim... (East Coast rappers where Hip Hop was born) music then was more about life in society as a black man, of course drugs and sex are included but it was "poetic", like mom said: “good art comes out from misery”. I started listening to Hip Hop when I discovered 2Pac, and there started my fascination about West Coast Hip Hop: violence, gang and the ghetto lol. I stopped listening to it during year 2000, it became more about the fame and money since the black artist kind of made it through and became rich. They couldn’t talk about the same shit anymore and the music became like crappy to me! So I was more into R&B back then, but what made me go back to Hip Hop even more than before was the sudden success of the Dirty South with Lil Jon and later Lil Wayne. The Dirty South was more about being CRAZY! Just like the Hyphy movement in the bay area. Between, I’m not the only one who thinks that Lil Wayne is some kind of a legend, he’s considered as the best rapper alive, a documentary was released on his life story, Barack Obama mentioned his name in a TV conference lool and he’s the rapper with the largest mixtape collection at his age... So that's why I'm picking on all these new rappers trying to look like him, I may be wrong, maybe it's just today's fashion, maybe it's just the new Hip Hop culture..... I also like New Boyz, thanks to them, the baggy jeans are dead lool, rappers are starting to wear tight jeans loool.
Finally I guess this is what teenagers nowadays wanna hear about ....They don’t wanna hear about a song with message. And that scary because the world seems to be given what we want instead of what we need. A world ruled by pleasure and consumption rather than morals and responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment